According to CB Insights, global investments in EdTech startups were projected at $3B in 2017! 24 percent more than in 2016. With U.S. companies alone raising $1.2B in 2017.
In Europe, the UK lead the way in EdTech investments, contributing 34 percent (GBP178 million) of the total, according to Benjamin Vedrenne-Cloquet, co-founder of EdtechXGlobal.
Nordic EdTech startups too had a cheerful year. The likes of 3D Bear and Peergrade raising 1 million and 1.25 ($1.5M) million euros respectively!
Breakdown of major EdTech deals in the Nordics in 2017 (updated 8th Jan, 2018):
Source: Nordic Tech List
Wow, that’s some serious $$$!!
Well sure it is, but that’s not the way we should be measuring EdTech’s capability, says Patrick Brothers in his article forget what you’ve been told about edtech.
For this reason, I asked EdTech experts about educational technology trends for 2018.
In total I received answers from 13 experts, comprising of CEOs & founders of EdTech startups, EdTech cluster leaders as well as eminent teachers.
Let’s find out what they had to say…
- Without creativity technology is nothing
- Analytics and data rules
- Standardisation in EdTech products
- Online learning apps continue to boom
- Embrace VR/AR in education
- Better and more accessible education for all
- Correlation between improved social-emotional skills and student wellbeing
- Integrated learning experience